Managing costs in the face of skyrocketing infrastructure spin-up
As Zoom responds to historic demand for video conferencing services, Yotascale helps keep cloud spend in check — delivering significant ROI
Just a few weeks after pandemic-related office closures took place worldwide, usage of Zoom, the cloud platform for video and communications, skyrocketed 30-fold while the company’s cloud infrastructure grew exponentially. When an enterprise scales up infrastructure at breakneck speed, tracking cloud spend and making informed decisions on cloud utilization are extremely difficult. But since Zoom implemented Yotascale as the cost allocation solution for cloud services in late 2019, what could have been a budget overrun nightmare became an easy, streamlined task for the company’s engineering team.
Based on savings realized by identifying underutilized resources, Zoom saw a significant return on investment from Yotascale. As Zoom adjusts infrastructure to respond to greater demand for its services in 2020 and beyond, Yotascale will help the company better control its cloud spend bottom line.
- Identify underutilized resources and associated costs.
- Balance performance and customer experience with cost management.
- Set cost guardrails for engineering, while enabling improved performance and customer satisfaction.
- Manage year-over-year business growth.
- Access cloud performance and business metrics to optimize costs.
- Zoom, which was previously using AWS tools to manage cloud resources, chose Yotascale for its ability to map costs to usage.
- As the pandemic took hold and Zoom had to spin up infrastructure exponentially to keep up with demand, Yotascale provided the necessary intelligence to prevent overspending on cloud.
- Yotascale delivered reports on cloud resources that could be deprovisioned with minimal risk to Zoom’s performance, helping engineers make decisions on balancing costs with service levels.
- Yotascale delivered substantial ROI.
- With cost guardrails in place, engineers can take action to improve products and services while keeping costs in check.
- Yotascale identified meeting zones, or blocks of servers, that had zero activity, simplifying the task of determining which resources to deprovision.
Engineers can take action to improve products and services while keeping costs in check.
“As Zoom has scaled its systems exponentially in current times, Yotascale has been a trusted partner to help keep our massively increasing cloud costs in check. I’ve been very impressed with the huge ROI they delivered, and I’m glad that we had Yotascale already in place prior to the pandemic.”
Engineering Manager, Cloud Operations